Monday, June 11, 2007

Thank goodness it's over



Thanks to all who supported me with pledges in the Tour De Cure ride to support the American Diabetes Association. Over 1100 riders turned out this year, though very few elected to do the 75 mile ride (hence the title of this post.)

While cycling looks to most to be an individual sport, any pro cyclist or elite amateur will tell you that it takes a team to win a race. There are a number of reasons for this, not least of which is the huge advantage one has by riding behind another cyclist. The amount of effort required riding in front is about 20-30% more than riding behind. That is especially true for out-of-shape shlubs like me.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to find a group with which to ride, meaning I wound up on the front for nearly all of the ride. As in, I rode by myself. It is a Goldilocks situation for sure - one group was too fast, another too slow. I thought I had a group of 3 going until I had a flat on the only real hill in the course. Sigh.

At any rate, I felt reasonably good for 50 miles, and if I had elected to do only 50 miles, the experience would have been more positive. Unfortunately, I had 25+ miles to go (I believe the course is actually 78 miles - grrr.) and sortof suffered through the rest.

Except I didn't quite get to finish. My bike had a problem at mile 70 which basically couldn't be addressed on the road, so that was the end of the line. I hopped a ride with a nice couple in one of the SAG wagons to complete the ride. I do apologize to all of you who sponsored me on the basis that I would be completing 75 miles - contact the Diabetes Assn. about a refund :)

It was not all bad though. The route was beautiful, taking us up to Fort Edward, through Washington County and back around western Saratoga county. The weather was nice, unlike recent years. And above all, I saw many families and other folks who were pushing it to the limit in support of a great cause. And I apparently burned over 4000 calories. I say apparently because I weighed about the same this morning. But I did get to eat a lot yesterday without any guilt.

To see how it all unfolded, I have the entire ride recorded. Just click on the map above for 70 miles worth of stats. Thanks again for sponsoring me.

- James

1 comment:

Barbara Richmond said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Wow, you did great. Thanks for the update.
Hugs
Barbara & John Richmond